How to re-compile the Atari ST VolksForth kernel
- Atari ST computer (or an emulator such as Hatari) running VolksForth
- Floppy Disk (for a real computer) or a Disk-Image (for the Emulator)
- FORTH83.FB- The VolksForth Kernel source
- ASSEMBLE.FB- M68000 Forth Assembler
- TARGET.FB- VolksForth Target Compiler
- PATCH.FB- The Patch Tool to patch the kernel and load the Fileinterface
- FILEINT.FB - The File-Interface
- C.FB - Target Compile "script"
Step 1: Compiling a new kernel
- make your changes to the VolksForth kernel (FORTH83.FB)
- start a fresh copy of VolksForth (File 4TH.PRG)
include c.fb. This will compile the kernel. It will load the files "ASSEMBLE.FB", "TARGET.FB" and "FORTH83.FB" and will write the generated not kernel as "4THIMG.PRG". This new Forth Image is very very basic, it does not contain the file interface and can only load source for Blocks (sector I/O) from the Floppy Disks A: or B:
- exit the VolksForth (BYE)
Step 2: loading the file interface into the new Kernel
- format a new floppy (360 KB or 720 KB floppy, HD floppies will not work) in drive A:
- copy the following files exactly in this order. The order is important, as the new VolksForth kernel need to find the source code at the correct block/sector locations!: PATCH.FB, ASSEMBLE.FB and FILEINT.FB. PATCH.FB must be in Block 1, ASSEMBLE.FB must start at Block 6 and FILEINT.FB must start at Block 24 ($18).
- execute the new VolksForth kernel (4THIMG.PRG).
- select drive A:
- test that PATCH.FB is in Block 1:
1 listshould show the PATCH.FB load screen
- test that ASSEMBLE.FB is in Block 6:
6 listshould show the ASSEMBLE.FB load screen
- test that FILEINT.FB is in Block 24:
24 listshould show the FILEINT.FB load screen
- load the patch tool:
- save the new VolksForth Image to disk:
save-system 4THCORE.PRG. 4THCORE.PRG is now the kernel plus the file interface. This is a minimal but useable Forth system
Step 3: build a full VolksForth system
- edit the file "STARTUP.FB", add or remove features you want to have in your VolksForth system
- execute "STARTUP.FB":
- save the new image under a new name (be careful not to overwrite your original 4TH.PRG, make a backup first!):
- your new VolksForth system is now ready!